Monday, October 17, 2011

Quebec City Favorites



































































Bonjour! Here are a few snapshots from Quebec City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, that were taken over the last 6 months. Being a regular port of call, I was privileged to witness this charming city as it changed through three seasons. I saw the crocus bloom in May and kicked up crispy brown leaves just last week.

The spring visits involved lots of cool rain, but exploring was still fun - ducking in and out of cafes, art galleries, and cathedrals. I found the best spot to eat Chocolatines (chocolate croissants) and drink Lady Grey tea - "Baguette et Cie" while sparrows darted in for crumbs through the open wall of windows. I listened to "Les Violons du Roy", a wonderful chamber orchestra, perform a concert on one of our overnights.

I stopped by the farmers market whenever I could to see flowers, smell basil, or ask the vendors why this apple was better than that one. I took a tour of the city's highlights and saw the citadel, built to protect the new French colony from enemies. I learned that my country was a primary enemy, and that we fought and lost here in an attempt to convince the French they should join us in the fight for independence. I was dazzled by the chandelier in the lobby of the Chateau Frontenac - the palatial looking building with the green roof.

I fell in love (as you can see) with the city's infatuation with window boxes. I walked the cobblestone streets of "Old Quebec" under a bridge of love letters hanging on strings like socks flapping on a clothes line. And on my last visit, I caught this rainbow over the Saint Lawrence River as I rode the "Funiculaire". Goodbye Quebec City - and if I may borrow your motto, "Je me souviens"!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. You didn't mention MY visit to Quebec:) Those pictures are beautiful! Miss you! When will you be in Africa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kates!!! Due to the immense amount of people who read my blog, I didn't want to expose you without permission. You keep blogging too - I love what you write and your pictures. MISS YOU SIS. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen,
    Thanks for sharing all your beautiful adventures. Those dahlias were powerful. Enjoy.
    Be well,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete