Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Fish Market in Bergen, Norway

The fish market in Bergen is alongside the harbor and the fishermen, themselves, sell what they've just pulled in from their boats while still wearing their orange waders.   Not only can you buy all the fish you want to take home, the fishermen have stovetops ready to cook up whatever you like and serve it with a slice of lemon, piece of bread, and a salad.  Some of the fishermen are Norwegian, but they seem to come from all over Europe.  The woman who sold me my meal was Portuguese and explained many come from her country to work in Norway because the wages are much better there.  This makes perfect sense because my plate of fish was about $35.  I saw everything from caviar to whale and notice the size of the king crab compared to the little girls near the tank.  I don't know what kind of whale they sell, but I've posted a picture of it.  It is the dark red meat that looks more like beef than fish - I'm sorry I can't tell you how it tastes.









No comments:

Post a Comment